Custom Search

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Does the number of Children Determine how well you Raise you Kids

Is there any correlation between the number of children a family has and how well parents raise their children? I better tell you about my exploration.
Nowadays, more couples whom I know very well, decide to have only one child. Some of my old friends whom I have met again in school reunions, my own sister, one of my nephews, one of my husband's nephews...they all have only one child.
However the average number of children a family has in my hometown (Jakarta-Indonesia), is two which is in accordance with the government's Family Planning program. On the other hand, I could still meet a few couples who have three or maximum four children. Their classic reason is always "We come from a large family and would like to have such large family too".
I feel relieved knowing that many people I have met so far are more or less the perfect picture of good parents.
My concerns are those who belong in the low income society. In Jakarta, they live in small houses - side by side with their neighbors' houses - on narrow streets. How many children do they have? One child in a family is still undesirable. I see that younger couples would have two or three children. Older generation might already have five or even more children. Surprisingly there is one family in Bali who has 20 children! The 20th child was born in a hospital and was spread on local TV news widely.
In my neighborhood, there is also a religious organization with its own mosque and quite crowded community. They do not follow the family planning program.
One of them was my daughter's former Quran private teacher, a friendly as well as hardworking lady and now has seven children. Another one else is an old lady who has four grown-up daughters and the oldest one has already had her own family with five children. They all stay together in the same house. Another one else is the man who sells cooking gas to us. Again he, together with his wife and four children, stay at his parents' house.
I admire greatly something from them. Besides their financial limitation and many children, they could manage to protect their children very well. The children are well-mannered, not noisy, do not wander around on the streets. They go to public schools and I think that is the only place where their parents allow them to interact with other children outside their community.
I could conclude that the number of children in a family do not determine how well parents raise their children. I have seen well-behaved children from either small or large families. In addition to that, I have also seen well brought-up children from both high-income and low-income families.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dilsari_Hidayat

No comments: