Custom Search

Thursday, June 19, 2008

What is too old for children to sleep with parents?

Some people will say that you should never let you children sleep with you, they say that it will cause them to become spoiled and not allow them to have their own identity. I do not believe this is true. Children that sleep with their parent do not become spoiled (not because of this anyway) or do not allow them to have their own identity. I think it gives the children a form of comfort and the parents to some extent a form of comfort. As long as it does not come between the parents, I think you should let them sleep with you as long as the parent and the children are comfortable. Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should allow them to sleep with you until they are teenagers, I think you will find that about the age of 2 you will find that it is time to let them start sleeping by themselves. My son is 19 months old and we have bought him a toddler bed which he seems to like, but he still feels better if he can fall asleep with mommy and daddy at least to begin with. Usually what we will do is to put him asleep in our bed (between us of course) then when he falls asleep we will move him to his own bed. This seems to work out very well for all of us, my son (Billy) sleeps better, I think because he feels more comfortable falling asleep with mommy and daddy and mommy and daddy fell better because the longer you can hold on to them the better. Lets face it, children grow up so fast that you need as much time with them while they are young as possible, before you know it they are teenagers and they don't even want to be seen in the same place as you. Cherish the time you have will your children while you can!

No comments: